A century after the first European swordsmiths arrived in Britain, a group of craftsmen has been crafting the most modern of swords for generations.
One of them is James Tait, who began his career making swords at the end of the 19th century.
Tait was born in the town of Grosvenor in Kent in 1835.
After moving to the country, he joined a forge at the town’s Royal Mint, where he was hired to make a variety of swords.
Tilt, who later became a lawyer, would forge a variety that would be exported to England, France, and Germany, including the Englishman’s prized antique sword.
The sword was also sold in England and exported to the United States, and in 1879, Tait’s son and fellow maker William Tait bought the sword and sold it to a collector, who passed it on to his son, who then passed it to Tait.
Tatham, now a professor at St. Albans University in Buckinghamshire, is now the patron of the University of Kent’s Sword Museum, where the sword hangs on the wall.
The sword is named after Tait because of his unique workmanship.
When he was young, Tilt used to cut his own swords, so he was able to learn how to forge them, according to his obituary.
Tailors in England had to be skilled, and Tait could work with only a pair of pliers.
He was also skilled in making a very simple blade, said Tait himself, adding that his workmanship could be found in a sword he made in 1876, which is engraved with the words: “James Tait.”
Tait is buried in the Kent town of Bury St. Edmunds, which was named for his son.
The city of Gwynedd was named after his son William, who lived there in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
A new museum will be opened next year in Bury Street, in a former tavern called the Bury’s End.
The museum will feature more than 150 items, including rare swords, weapons of the medieval period, and other antiquities, including a rare sword that was given to William by an American collector, according the museum’s website.